From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 08:29:24 -0600
I have been really pleased to read all the posts about defining success and avoiding labeling moms.  In my case, I say that I was "less successful" or "minimally successful" with my first two children, who essentially nursed part time for comfort for a few months.  This didn't even come close to what I would have liked to happen, but there were certainly benefits to what we did do.

I think it is important to give moms credit for whatever they did manage to accomplish, as well as provide support for other attachment parenting techniques.  I was very sad to read of the mom who was carrying her baby in a sling, buying formula, and treated in a demeaning manner by another mother.

I also feel that it is extremely important for mothers to be sensitive with their own mothers, and others close to them, who did not breastfeed.  I found, with my mother, that bringing up the subject of her brief attempt to nurse me opened up the way for her to be supportive of my efforts nursing her grandchildren.  She seemed  relieved when I explained that, with a doped up baby who wouldn't wake up, and trying to nurse on a hospital imposed schedule of a few minutes at a time, every four hours, practically no one would have a good milk supply!  I told her, and have told many others, that they did not fail, the WERE failed, by people whose job it was to help them!

I also wanted to comment on an earlier discussion on whether LLL or other groups supporting breastfeeding would continue to include mothers who had given up on breastfeeding, for whatever reason, but could benefit from the support at other aspects of attachment parenting.  With my second adopted baby, I had gotten involved with LLL.  After I threw in the towel at nursing him (which I got a little encouragement for from LLL members, but no practical help), I really could have benefited from continued association with LLL, in dealing with this very antisocial, miserable baby.  However, the time I was at a meeting and Allan had a poopy diaper and everyone carried on about how stinky it was, even throwing the bag with his diaper in it outside, I was so offended and felt so much like a failure, that I quickly left and didn't go near a LLL meeting for four more years.

Aloha,
Darillyn