From:
Brenda Phipps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 12:37:30 -0700
I have a FTT baby who is 7 months old, weighs 13 pounds. Baby's pattern of nursing since the age of 4 months has been one of nursing for a few minutes and pulling off, for an hour at a time. Mom began feeding rice cereal to baby one week ago per her pediatrician's advice, and baby had an allergic reaction (bumps are still evident on trunk).  Her baby is now hospitalized, and pediatrician has begun a plan of introducing different solids to the baby. So far, baby has tolerated yams and prunes (mom says baby is constipated - probably more a lack of calories), and has thrown up peas.

Mom's first child was also FTT, but breastfed for 3 ½ years.  This baby also apparently had a history of constipation, and still does at the age of 5.

I am thinking three possibilities here: 1) Reflux  2) Allergy 3) thryoid and/or prolactin levels are off. And as always, we are observing the psychosocial aspects as well.

Can anyone guide me to what an appropriate prolactin level should be in a mother with a 7-month old?  Any other comments on this situation are welcome!

Thank you,
Brenda Phipps, BS, IBCLC