From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 00:54:20 +0100
I used a Boston rocker for hundreds of hours of breastfeeding pleasure,
possibly thousands, with my firstborn.  It was the first piece of furniture
I acquired after moving out of my parents' home, and I needed my own because
they wouldn't let me take theirs with me.

With my second, I had added a Balans Variable rocker to my collection and
have actually breastfed in it, hands-free, while eating spaghetti for
dinner.  I have no stock in the company that makes these.  If you are
curious about what a Balans rocker is, you can see it, and be impressed with
my coordination, at:
http://www.stokke-furniture.no/Products.asp?la=1&n=Variable

The traditional 'nursing' (breastfeeding) rockers have a low seat, a long
rocking action, no armrests and a narrow, straight high back.  These work
for larger children too, since there are no armrests to get in the way.  The
low seat means you can have your knees slightly higher than your hips, at
least at the one end of the rocking arc.  I guess it is a matter of custom,
but I can't imagine my home without a rocking chair.
There is also a classic Norwegian rocker similar to the Boston rocker, and
it has the most heavenly rocking action I have ever experienced.
Rachel Myr
Norway