From:
Laurie Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2010 12:51:34 -0500
I think you are "right on" this is a toddler bf issue. I am not really

familiar with naturopathy so can't really comment on the cortisol level

having an effect on the behavior of the toddler. However, there was

quite a bit in your post pointing to the family dynamics and even the

mother's normal feelings of being 'touched out' etc.

Unfortunately we do not bf in a vacuum and we do have partners, other

children, and family or friends giving subtle or not so subtle advice,

suggestions about what is  appropriate for bf and mothering behavior.

What this mom needs, I think, is exploration of these family and

mothering issues, feelings, sleeping arrangements etc, what she feels

her child really needs, what she really wants, and how she might get a

better handle on them. Limits can be set if need be, for example, if the

child is pulling open mom's shirt at an inopportune time, and this is

causing mother or others discomfort. Is there a mother support group

that mother can attend, preferably a toddler group? The book Mothering

Your Nursing Toddler is an excellent resource for her.

Lest you think I am in favor of weaning or setting strict limits, no, on

the contrary, I breastfed one til about 6 yrs old.

Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC

Mississippi USA

Smart Medicine. Inspired Care. And the awards to prove it.

Recognized as a Top 50 Healthcare Network.

To learn about other recognition and awards Baptist has earned,
visit:

http://www.bmhcc.org/aboutus/awards/index.asp

This message and any files transmitted with it may contain legally
privileged, confidential, or proprietary information. If you are
not the intended recipient of this message, you are not permitted
to use, copy, or forward it, in whole or in part without the
express consent of the sender. Please notify the sender of the
error by reply email, disregard the foregoing messages, and delete
it immediately.