From:
Marsha Glass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 00:50:26 -0500
I agree with Cathy and Barbara that pre and post-feed weights are crucial
for this poor baby.  However, I have a different view of weight gain or lack
thereof in allergic babies.  This from personal experience.  My youngest
(now 19 yo, dd) was severely allergic to dairy.  It became obvious to us
that something was wrong starting around one week of age but steadily
getting worse with more and more symptoms over the next few weeks.  Some of
those included, 24 hr/day discomfort, either in the form of crying, fussing
or just squirming (we slept in a ...gasp... rocker/recliner for over 2
months and used a swing because movement helped her) and *very slow weight
gain*.  My son ( 2 1/2 when she was born) gained like gangbusters his first
month.  Emily, however, was borderline failure to thrive and she chewed up
my nipples in the early days (I don't think that had anything to do with her
weight gain, though).  I believe that my wonderful pediatrician at the time,
who knew me well and trusted my breastfeeding knowledge, gave me more leeway
than most peds would in not calling for supplements.  She was one miserable
little girl until we figured out the problem and eliminated ALL dairy from
my diet.  It took 2 full weeks for all of her symptoms to go away, and she
did begin to gain better after that.  A baby who is not receiving enough to
eat will often not be happy to nurse, IME, but will get very fussy at the
breast and even break off and cry.  My daughter would nurse night and day,
for comfort because she hurt, not just for food.  I would respect this mom's
observation that her baby is in pain (I knew mine was too) and continue to
explore both possibilities, allergy and low milk supply.  Mom said she
pumped all night.  Surely she would note that she wasn't getting much milk
if supply was the issue?!  Most moms will make that leap (that they don't
have enough milk based on what they pumped) even when all other signs point
to a satisfied, normally growing baby.  Make sure, when testing for dairy
allergy, that ALL forms of dairy are eliminated, not just the obvious ones
(my daughter reacted to the "real sour cream" in ranch-style Doritoes) and
give it two full weeks.  Improvement can usually be seen in a couple of
days, but complete resolution can take much longer, depending on the
severity of the allergy and number of symptoms.  I'm not sure what to think
about the formula, except that it sounds like mom wasn't away all that long.
Baby only got two bottles, which understandably knocked her out for a while,
then the reaction set in big time.  Just a possibility.  Also, has this mom
gotten the results back from the newborn screen?  I've had a couple of
babies with metabolic disorders (galactosemia most recently) who had
difficulties with breastfeeding, whose symptoms made sense when we got the
results back.

Good luck to this mom.  Let us know what happens.
Marsha

Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations
as all other earthly causes combined.