From:
"Ann M. Calandro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 21:43:54 EST
This article is like deja vu to me, because I was in a similar situation 21
years ago.  I was an Army nurse, Captain, and I was married,still am, to a West
Point graduate.  I was in the last four months of a five year commitment to the
Army when my daughter was born. I planned to go back to work at six weeks, which
was the standard.  I had a chance to get out when I was first pregnant but did
not choose this, wanting to finish my time in service.  I still planned to go
back to work when she was born, up until a few weeks before my return when I had
second thoughts.  I decided to take my 30 days of leave which I had accrued, and
this put me to mid April,  when I was to return.  I was torn by the decision to
go.  I could not find child care for her that I felt comfortable with.  We were
in a strange community, far from home, and there were not places like Kindercare
or child care places for small infants then, because I guess there were few moms
returning to work.  Any way, I had to go, and did, for several weeks, with my
husband bringing her to feed at lunch and me pumping with a bicycle horn pump.
She refused bottles totally and waited for me every day, and then tanked up all
evening and night.  I was able to fill out a ton of paperwork and send letters
to my senators and the President of the United States, and I ended up getting
out about 6 weeks early.  I promise I never ever expected to have a problem
going back to the Army.  I liked my job.  I was totally shocked at how strong my
feelings were.  I suppose there were those that felt I took advantage of the
military, but I had 100% intentions of staying on until the end.  And I feel
that this Army mom did too.  Motherhood will certainly take hold and make one
change their committments mighty fast.

Ann Calandro,RNC,IBCLC
whose daughter is now a junior in college, nursing student UNC-Chapel Hill, and
plans to become a midwife after finishing the RN program
And who is still grateful for Gerald Ford, who backed me up and helped me get
out early