From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2003 23:21:57 +1000
I would discuss how breastfeeding promotess close physical proximity between
mother and child, something known to increase the responsiveness of the
mother.  Everyone child health nurse should have a copy of this paper.
Anisfeld et al. (1990). Does infant carrying promote attachment? An
experimental study of the effects of increased physical contact on the
development of attachment. Child Development 61: 1617-1627 Basically it
reports that a group of poor, urban mothers (at risk?) are given a sling and
encourageed to use it their babies are much more likely to develop a secure
attachment at one year than if the mothers are given a baby carrier.

This is an excerpt of a paper of mine (only submitted at this stage) that is
looking at breastfeeding children at risk due to a history of
institutionalisation. I think some of it might be helpful.

"Breastfeeding may have had a positive impact on the child and on the
mother-child relationship. In adoption, both child and parent are alien to
each other and it is only over time and through intimate interaction that
the mother-child relationship develops.38 Breastfeeding helps to forge
mutually intimate relationships as characteristics of intimacy such as
reciprocity, harmony, trust, emotional closeness and skin-to-skin contact,
are all part of the breastfeeding experience.44 Skin-to-skin contact in
particular has been implicated in promotion of behaviors that assist
attachment.45,46 In addition, breastfeeding may have an impact on the
sensitivity of the mother to her child as it has been associated with the
exhibition of a greater responsiveness and caring in mothers47,48,49 and
there is a positive relationship between maternal sensitivity and the
attachment relationship.50 The greater responsiveness of the breastfeeding
mother is at least partially due to the release of oxytocin during
breastfeeding which promotes the development of maternal behaviour.51
However, there may also be a more mechanical reason for the increased
responsiveness of breastfeeding women in that the physical circumstances
that surround breastfeeding require mothers to maintain physical proximity
to their child and to interact with them on a regular basis in a positive
and intimate manner.52"

and from another article

"Moreover, breastfeeding may help the mother cope with stress better as
suckling at the breast has been associated with 'relaxation responses' that
have been measured via electroencephalograph (Cervantes et al 1992) and in
decreased blood pressure and cortisol levels (Amico, 1994). The positive
impact of breastfeeding on the mother is important, as it is vital to
remember that attachment is a two way street and it is advantageous to
promote a climate that helps the mother attach to her child."

38. Cohen S: Trauma and the developmental process: excerpts from an analysis
of an adopted child. Psychoanalytic Study of the Child 51:287-302, 1994
44. Dignam DM: Understanding intimacy as experienced by breastfeeding women,
Health Care for Women International 16:477-485, 1995
45. Feldman R, Eidelman AI, Sirota L et al: Comparison of skin-to-skin
(kangaroo) and traditional care: parenting outcomes and preterm infant
development. Pediatrics 110:16-26, 2002-08-15 Tessier R, Cristo M, Velez S
et al: Kangaroo mother care and the bonding hypothesis. Pediatrics 102:e17,
1998
46. Tessier R, Cristo M, Velez S, Giron M, de Calume ZF, Ruiz JG, Charpak Y,
Charpak N: Kangaroo mother care and the bonding hypothesis. Pediatrics
102:e17, http://www.pediatrics.org/cgi/content/full/102/2/e17, 1998
47. Brandt K, Andrews CM, Kvale J: Mother-infant interaction and
breastfeeding outcome 6 weeks after birth. JOCNN 27:169-174, 1998
48. De Andraca I, Salas MI, Lopez C et al: Effect of breast feeding and
psychosocial variables upon psychomotor development of 12 month infants.
Archivos Latinoamericanos de Nutricion 49:223-231, 1999
49. Fergusson DM, Woodward LJ: Breastfeeding and later psychosocial
adjustment. Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology 13:144-157, 1999
50. Pederson DR, Gleason KE, Moran G et al: Maternal attachment
representations, maternal sensitivity, and the infant-mother attachment
relationship. Experimental Psychology 5:925-933, 1998
51. Uvnas-Moberg K: Eriksson M: Breastfeeding: physiological, endocrine and
behavioural adaptations caused by oxytocin and local neurogenic activity in
the nipple and mammary gland. Acta Paediatrica 85:525-530, 1996
52. Epstein K: The interactions between breastfeeding mothers and their
babies during the breastfeeding session. Early Child Development and Care
87:93-104, 1993

Cervantes M, Ruelas R, Alcala V: EEG signs of "relaxation behavior" during
breast-feeding in a nursing woman. Archives of Medical Research 23:123-127,
1992
Amico J, Johnson JM, Vagnucci AH: Suckling induced attenuation of plasma
cortisol concentrations in postpartum lactating women. Endocrinology
Research 20:79-87, 1994

Karleen Gribble
Australia