From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:06:34 +1000
I have not seen the advertising by the pump companies to which many are
referring - and therefore am making no comment on whether they have
overstepped the mark or not.

Business is a necessity of life. And if a business doesn't market, then it
doesn't exist for long.

Employees may think that commercial interests are beneath them but, further
up the ladder, if those commercial interests aren't carefully managed then
their employment won't last long. I don't see anyone criticizing the
marketing ploys used by the private hospitals that employ many of us... and
those paid by government are receiving their wages from the taxes paid to
the government from businesses.
Lactation consultants who want to continue to earn a living have to promote
their services - and they use marketing to do it. Is it a perceived need we
are creating when we suggest that mothers come to see us prenatally? We
don't think so - we know that we can prevent lots of problems if they do,
saving them money later, but I daresay the majority of the population would
consider we are just creating a need where they don't think one exists.
What one person considers to be a necessity, ie a pump or a prenatal
consult, another may consider to be a need created by marketing.

My point - business and marketing are not dirty words as practiced by
ethical companies. Employees on the whole are not working for altruistic
reasons either - they are just as dependent on someone with business skills
doing good marketing as those of us who get our money directly from our
clients.

Denise Fisher
Health e-Learning