From:
Chris Mulford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 07:31:39 EST
Bravo for Cynthia Good Mojab and Jeanatte Panchula.  These two ladies put it
better than I could say it.

I always wondered why those lists and tables of "what different cultures
believe" both fascinated me and put me off.  Now I think I understand more
about their usefulness.

As a person is beginning the long journey to cultural competency, it can be
helpful to read even a short summary of what other groups believe---not
because it makes you an expert, and not even because it gives you practical
knowledge, but because it raises your awareness.  I come from a culture which
does not believe in a system of "hot" and "cold" foods, remedies, and
conditions.  So it was good for me to learn about this, and especially
fascinating to find that it was a common approach to healthful living in
widely different cultures!  The knowledge expanded my background knowledge
and my understanding of how different people see the world.

However, for my practical training, it would be much more useful to be taught
to ask the question, "What has your family told you about foods you should or
shouldn't eat as a lactating mother?"  That question works for anybody,
whether her culture believes in hot and cold foods or in natural vs.
processed foods or in just trying to give nursing mothers enough food.

Thanks to all for sharing their wisdom.
Chris Mulford
a New England Yankee transplanted to Eastern Pennsylvania, USA