From:
James O'Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2006 11:32:22 -0400
When I was an LLL Leader we were always taught to promote the
*advantages*
of breastfeeding as opposed to bashing formula,
but I always got the feeling that we'd rode that horse as far as it
could go...

The breast is best message has permeated society,
and the women who are going to respond to that message have and are
responding...
We definitely need new messages...

What's missing is the other side of the coin...
The message that formula feeding for convenience's sake is immoral...
What's missing is that formula smells and tastes bad and that it is
cruel to feed a baby such a foul food
when the alternatives of direct breastfeeding, expressed mother's
milk and banked human milk exist...

What's missing is the message that breastfeeding is more than feeding
a baby,
that the act of breastfeeding communicates love to the baby better
than any other act
and that direct breastfeeding should always be the preferred way of
mothering a child...

I can see why it would be tempting to use sex to sell breastfeeding
since sex sells everything else so well...
but breastfeeding is beautiful not sexy...and I hope no organization
ever opens that can of worms,
but I'm not faulting Judy for brainstorming out loud new ways of
reaching the moms who are not breastfeeding...
I'm just brainstorming out loud too...

Jen O'Quinn