From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 18:58:25 +1000
OK I know I'm late with this response but I didn't see it addressed quite
the way I want to by anyone else.
Previously we have discussed the (is it still theoretical?) importance of
ensuring plenty of binding sites for prolactin by breastfeeding lots in the
early days and weeks.  As well as this, clinical practice has found that
mothers who breastfeed frequently in the early days have a comfortable
fullness when lactogenesis II occurs, unlike the ones who feed less often
(not always something the mother can influence).
So not having early feedings can, perhaps, affect lactation by resulting in
engorgement and the problems that are associated with it, and maybe a lower
breastmilk supply down the track due to less prolactin binding sites in the
breast.

I agree with everyones comments that you can lead a horse to water, but you
can't make it drink (and shouldn't try to force it to).  But what about the
lactation?  Rachel mentioned expressing and giving the baby the breastmilk
by other means if he's interested and I fully agree.

I recommend that if the baby has had nothing at the breast for 8 hours then
the mothers breasts be hand expressed.  This milk can then be offered to
the infant (which should stop the doom-sayers from intervening).  From then
on hand expressing should take place every four hours at least until the
baby does decide to breastfeed.  This is just 'guarding the lactation'.

However, I wonder if we should be accepting not feeding for long periods of
time (and I mean greater than 12 hours - not 2) as normal.  Just how normal
and common is this in unmedicated babies?  If it isn't, then should we say
it's all right for the majority of our babies who are medicated?

Denise

Denise Fisher BN, RN, RM, IBCLC
BreastEd Online Lactation Studies
++++++ earn 120 L CERPs +++++++++