From:
Sonya Myles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2016 06:21:10 -0400
A while back I had a pediatrician ask me about referring babies to osteopaths for body work. She also wanted to see the evidence. Can I find the research (like I have free time to do her work...) I asked her what her concern with bodywork was, and she also mentioned evidenced based work. She felt that unless we could prove it would be beneficial, we shouldn't recommend it. I asked her why medicine had such a double standard, why it was ok for medicine to not use evidenced based practice, but everyone else had to. She told me that western medicine absolutely only used evidence based practice, and I looked at her and asked, well what about thalidomide? She backed off.

Let's be really honest here, western medicine only really requires evidenced based practice when it is convenient. We all know epidurals are not good for babies, and the risks of formula, and the benefits of extended breastfeeding, yet, I don't see those conversations coming up every day. In fact I had to argue with a Dr. the other day who ordered formula for a low blood sugar, rather than expressed colostrum. I told him he was giving me the easy answer, not the right one. Thankfully mom refused the formula, expressed colostrum was given and baby's blood sugar rose.

For all those who don't understand how bodywork works, who question the whole idea of CST or osteopathy, why not just sign up for a session yourself? It's what I did before I started recommending it, and I still go regularly because it made such a difference to they way I function.