From:
the davis' <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 1996 22:31:40 -0400
Hi, friends. I've got a mom that found out today she has trichomonas.
Nursing an 8 week old. Her doctor wanted to prescribe something with
tetracycline in it, before he remembered she was nursing. Now wants to give
a "suppository" (Metrogel?)  I am only familiar with using Flagyl or
Metrogel. Can't find any info that says tetracycline as method of treatment.
So, I find she can pump and dump 12-24 hours after Flagyl megadose (2 gm),
then nurse while taking 250 mg TID x 10 days. Can't find much info on
Metrogel. PDR says Metrogel offers  2% of serum level of Flagyl 500 mg.

Am I making any sense? Does she need to pump and dump with Metrogel? How
long? Her doc is not well-versed, if you know what I mean, and will probably
go with her suggestion of treatment. Want to give her all the facts I can
find so she can make this decision.

TIA.
Lechia Davis RNC, ACCE, IBCLC
Maternal Instincts