From:
Jeroy Motsiff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:43:19 -0400
I have been working with a mom and 6 week old exclusively breastfed infant
who has had blood in BMs for 4 weeks off and on. At 3 weeks of age mom
eliminated dairy and soy and has not had any in over 3 1/2 weeks. She also
has had an overactive MER that is slowly getting under control by nursing
on one breast for 3 feeding before switching to the onter and she has been
using a breast sheild.   I was away for a week and the pediatrician but the
baby on Nutramigen. While the baby was on the formula, the blood disapeared
from the BMS.  Mom put the baby back on the breast and within 3 days there
was blood back in the stools. Mom has eliminated peanut butter from her
diet 2 days ago to see if that would be the offending food protein causing
the colitis.   We have r/o a pathological reason for the colitis. Mom wants
to breast feed exclusively as she did her older child who incidently had
blood in stools as infant but it resolved when momm stooped dairy. Does any
one have suggestions on what could be causing the blood in stools? Would
appreciate any input. Thanks

Joy Motsiff PNP IBCLC