From:
Robyn Aulmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 17:04:43 +0930
Dear Janice,
There is a lady Virginia Thorley.Virginia <[log in to unmask]>
She is a friend of mine from Queensland and has been very interested in the relactation of Aboriginals. She wrote Papers about it many years ago around the 1970'sish.
 What we see here in our hospital is; when a mum has a bub, sometimes very small, she often doesn't stay in Darwin, if aboriginal, but goes back to her community.  Sometimes, without even attempting to establish lactation.
When the bub is getting ready to feed from the breast, we encourage her to come back into our self care and commence establishing lactation by frequent expressing and the use of metoclopramide
four times a day taken orally until they made enough milk. However, some are not always compliant and require Artifical formula as well, of course.The Aboriginal grandmothers arso were able to re-establish lactation to maintain a baby if something happened to mothers. With most bubs it happens with the more stimulation the better.
With your Adoptive mum, a Supply line with Bub suckling the nipple with good attachment, [sorry it will have to have AFormula, unless a reliable supply of Breast milk.], I am not sure about the Depro but Maxolon 10 mg (metoclopramide) four times a day, was used to stimulate. With frequent feeds, it allowed one of our mums (who had a very positive attitude and lots of TLC and support from close friends and family), to breastfeed her tiny special baby for a long period(sorry can't remember how long)at Wodonga in Victoria.. The later was essential too!

Hope this of some encouragement.
Cheers,
Robyn J. Aulmann, RM.FACM.
Darwin, NT.Australia

ps
This didn't get sent to the others as it bounced twice!!