From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 1995 07:30:24 -0400
Lisa, Re your Long note.. Which I read 3 times to keep track of stuff. <G>

Is it possible that as this woman's babies get older, she uses a lot of
swings, pacifiers, etc to calm baby instead of bf? I have seen this myself.
ALso, does she use ABM at all before the crisis seems to hit?  This could
predispose babies to illnesses...colds, URI, etc. especially if they are
dairy sensitive.  I think I see a pattern here where after a few months, she
seems to lose it, and sometimes this is due to lack of breast stimulation,
plain and simple.  Now, with #3, I think she is fulfilling her own prophecy
of bf failure. SHe expects it, she is terrified of it, and guess what, it is
happening.

I would recommend that she breastfeed and/or pump DOUBLY at least 10
times/day. I don't know about the herbs. Since I am not familiar with them,
I don't tell people to take 'em.  Direct stimulation at this point should
increase her supply, unless there is another problem going on that I don't
know about.

Some people have thyroid difficulties after pregnancy..I was one of them.
Had it twice,..and it wasn't noticed the first time until my baby was 2-3
months old. This, if severe enough, could cause low milk production. Has the
mother had a physical?

I assume baby #3 has had physical to rule out other health issues.

Right now, I think the mother needs to take serious action to pump/nurse.

Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce RN, BSN, IBCLC
Williston, Vermont USA
To err is human, to really screw up you need a computer...*wink*