From:
Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 1997 13:48:13 -0500
Breast compression is a good way to help with a poor letdown reflex.  It
both simulates a letdown (by getting milk to the baby) and often
stimulates a letdown (I am not sure how).

Yes, the problem could be a supply problem.  Compression would help here
as well.  Lying down with the baby might help, as the baby might be more
relaxed.  Check to find out if she is on estrogen containing birth
control pills.  Perhaps she should consider starting the baby taking
solid foods.  If the baby nurses a short while and is still hungry, she
can offer solids.  This might take off some of the stress as well.  I'll
bet the baby is trying to get solid foods from the mother's plate.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC