From:
Shaughn Leach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2007 20:34:11 +0900
If anyone thought I was disrespectful in my last post I would like to
apologise to them - that is not at all how I wish to act or to be perceived.

Gwen I couldn't agree with you more about the importance of how we present
new information to mothers and being careful not to undermine their trust in
other health workers.  This is definitely working in a woman-centred way
which is at the heart of midwifery and breastfeeding I believe. You must
feel incredibly lucky to be able to influence the learning of such a wide
range of health professionals - midwifes, child and family health nurses and
neonatal intensive care nurses!

I am not sure that we all have the same concepts for the terms so perhaps I
need to clarify how I understand them:

* Cradle hold:  Mother uses the same hand to the breast being used (right
arm when right breast used and baby's body is placed across the front of the
mother's body) and her hand is placed across the shoulder blades.

* Cross-Cradle hold and the Transition hold:  Mother uses opposite hand, to
the breast being used, and places it across baby's shoulder blades. The
cross-cradle hold is referred to as the transition hold by Rebecca Glover in
her pamphlet and video.

* Twin or Football hold:  Baby is placed to the side of the mother's body
and mother's hand on that same side is placed over the baby's should blades.

I don't mean to make this discussion sound like a right and wrong way to
assist mothers and babies but rather I am perplexed by how the
cross-cradle/transition hold became so firmly entrenched in people's minds
as the 'best' or 'only' way to breastfeed - here in Perth anyway :-)

Shaughn Leach
Perth, Western Australia

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
12:20 PM