From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 23:36:08 EST
Got a call again from a mother who has been plagued with plugs the whole time
she's been nursing.  Baby is now 16 months, and since the first of the year
they've been worse than ever.  She can think of nothing that has changed in her
life, diet, or the baby's nursing pattern.  Since we could never find any cause
for the plugs to begin with, I don't have much more to offer her.

Baby nurses about every 3 hours during the night and goes up to 6 hours during
the day.  She leads a "LLL-type life"--good nutrition, stays home with baby
(this is her first), fairly relaxed person.  Always has had an ample but not
ridiculous milk supply; big, moosey-type baby.  The plugs occur in both breasts,
in many different locations.  Eliminated possibility of bra or something causing
pressure, for quite a while she tried taking lecithin without change in
frequency of plugs, she doesn't use caffeine (or its relatives) other than
occasional chocolate, consumes very little dairy products.  She complains of
"shooting pains" sometimes after feedings and I've known persistent plugging to
be related to yeast, but have a hard time thinking that might be it:  Never had
a vaginal yeast infection that she knows of, baby never had thrush, hasn't ever
had symptoms of yeast on her nipples, hasn't used antibiotics in more than 10
years!  No symptoms of plugging at nipple pores.  On no meds, takes a
multi-vitamin daily, garlic, vitamin C, and aloe vera capsules since November.

She has always been able to work out the plugs (never a breast infection), but
they cause her quite a lot of pain and occur so frequently.  I'm at a loss.
Just for the heck of it, I told her to quit the vitamins and aloe vera for a
couple of weeks to see if that made any difference (I'm grasping at straws!).
Is there something obvious I'm missing, or have any of you run into anything
really odd that might be causing this???  (I was interested to read about the
persistent mastitis and the appendix!)

Thanks much!

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC