From:
"Fogelmans ." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2017 10:29:58 +0200
Hi Everybody,
I work in a maternity ward in a large hospital. Of course our babies lose
weight before discharge as they should and each parent is counselled to
bring the baby to a well baby clinic in another few days to be checked.
However, babies born under 2.5 kilos have to actually gain weight before a
doctor will discharge them. For instance, a baby I am following also as a
private LC, was born 2.452 kilos at 38 weeks. She went to the breast
immediately. The mother was counseled to wake the baby every 3 hours if she
doesn't wake on her own (protocol for LBW babies) Her sugar levels were
followed acc. to protocal and were fine the whole time.  At 48 hours the
baby had lost what otherwise would be an acceptable amount of weight (I
can't remember the exact number) The doctor refused to release her,
insisted on seeing that she starts gaining and told the mother to
supplement after each feed. The mother gave 10 cc of formula after every
feed and the baby gained weight that day and went home the next day.
This is just one example of something that is happening regularly. One of
my colleagues was actually balled out by both a mother and the doctor for
encouraging exclusive breastfeeding in a 2.5 kilo baby who was nursing
well.
Now, I understand that these little babies don't have much reserves but
should we expect them to gain weight on their third day when it is not the
physiological norm? If the baby is breastfeeding well, shouldn't we just
let her breastfeed? (and if she isn't feeding well the mother should pump
and feed her ebm)  I don't feel confident in my knowledge of these little
babies and would appreciate your input.
Thanks so much,
Chayn Fogelman IBCLC, RN Jerusalem Israel