From:
Karen Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 1996 12:36:17 +0000
Hi All,

I'm confused!! (Big news, huh?)

I recently called JCAHO to ask what their "requirements" are for LCs in
hospitals with maternity services and was told...(paraphrasing here) "We
don't have *any REQUIREMENTS* for hospitals.  We are only there in the
capacity of "good advisors" and, since all accreditation is voluntary,
the hospital does not have to implement any of it.  All decisions about
the kinds of services a hospital offers (like a lactation service) are
made internally by the individual hospital, based on their assessment of
their population."

What's the scoop?

TIA for any clarification on this issue.

Karen

P.S.  My apologies to our International friends for taking up your time
and space with this question.  Aren't you glad YOU live in one of the
"developed" nations?;-)