Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2007 00:59:34 -0500

I realize that this video was created in a specific setting, but the narration makes it clear that this is
recommended intervention for all babies. Since the video makes some pretty strong statements about
the "right " way to do things, I think it is reasonable to argue that it does not live up to its promise. I
am not talking about culturally imposed ideas--I am talking about biological norms. I think it is exactly
right that mothers choose their own birth environments, birth attendants, attendees, etc. But, just as with
feeding, mothers cannot make informed choices when the intervention is presented as the norm.

That is my point--when we make normal behaviour an intervention, we tend to manipulate and control it until
it no longer resembles nature's design. That is the direction I see this video taking. Self-attachment is not an
intervention any more than is feeding at breast and uninterrupted birth. There is no right way for these things
to happen--but it is right for babies that they do happen. From my perspective, this video is a double-edged
sword--it reminds us of the innate competency of the infant, but it does so in a contrived context that makes
us think it is a new medical miracle to be applied as directed.

Morgan wrote:
"I have no problem with people not liking the video.

I have quite a strong sense of disquiet, however, in comments that
suggest the video doesn't live up to the 'right' way to do things.  I'm
concerned there is a process going on, that is substituting one set of
culturally imposed ideas, for another.  The idea that no one but the Mum
being there afterwards as someone how being more intrinsically 'correct'
is quite disturbing to me.  What happened to mothers choosing?

In the context of this video, do we really think that WHO, Unicef and
WABA, went about imposing a birth ritual on a mother without her
consent?  Or are we just simply stating that no mother would choose to
have her baby latch under those conditions?  Or that if she did, she was
obviously without proper choice and proper information?  There are
several layers to discussing the 'wrongness' of the scenario - in terms
of the mother and the onlookers, that do ring alarm bells with me.  Who
are we to make these assumptions, and judgements?  Certainly I'm not
comfortable for myself with the throng - but it's not my birthing
experience here.  And the video plainly states there has been a
significant increase in breastfeeding rates as a result of this
intervention.  Again, who are we to criticise the cultural practices we
don't like, and suggest the way we would choose is somehow more correct?

I have a friend who gave birth at home two weeks ago.  She is a crunchy
birther, who did not have any medical people present.  She chose to fill
the house with family and friends, and they all watched the birth, and
the first latch.  I do believe there was even some cheering.  Shall I
email her now, and tell her how wrong she got it, and how no one else
should have been there?  Come to that, I chose for my husband to only
attend after the birth, and to be with us both afterwards for several
hours.  And quite frankly, heaven help any doctor who'd come in and made
an excuse to drag him out.  I'd have ripped his head off for
interrupting MY birth with his expectations of what I should do.
Empowering mothers who aren't sure is one thing, setting in stone how IT
SHOULD BE, is quite another.

I think for all the flaws, the fact that everyone breaks into applause
when the baby latches is precisely what we're missing in our culture - a
celebration of a golden moment of life.  No one, to my knowledge, bursts
into spontaneous applause in the maternity unit, when the formula bottle
is plugged in, after baby has been sanitised, dressed, swaddled in
blankets and popped into it's plastic box.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater."

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC