From:
Judy Holtzer Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 1995 08:30:53 -0900
On Wed, 2 Aug 1995, Lisa A. Marasco wrote:

> I saw a mother today whose baby is FTT: BW 6-15, 2 wks 6-12, today 6-5.
> Mother is pediatric RN age 28, history of ovarian cysts and BC pills to
> control since age 15, took 1 yr and 1 miscarriage from cessation of pill
> to conceive this baby, has been hyperthyroid for the past 10 yrs.
> Pregnancy completely normal, minimal breast growth: she still fits 2 out
> of 3 prepregnancy bras for 34B. Left side larger than right, but not
> abnormally so, no "udder shape", breasts more firm and upright

I am sure that there are many out there who can answer this better than
I, but....I saw from my daughter's recent bout with severe
hyperthyroidism that several of her "signs and symptoms" were *more
usually* seen in *HYPO*thyroidism, eg, anemia. As Anne Eglash has noted,
pp thyroid disease is rampant. I would think that this lady would be in
close touch with the endocrinologist who has been treating her all these
years and should test hormone levels, hematology, SMA, iron stores, etc.
If it is a thyroid-related problem, her breastfeeding problem should
clear up with regulation of the thyroid. Judy K. in Israel