Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:54:30 EST
In a message dated 1/22/02 1:18:17 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
> I have 2 questions to pose -
> To other Peer Support Coordinators and to Peer Support Workers -
> What advice do you have for me re :
> a. keeping and supporting peer support workers
> b. advertising the project to pregnant women effectively
> c. what you have found has made your own program successful.

I was the coordinator of a PC program that was very sucessful for about 5
yrs. The bfing rate at WIC  ( USA nutrition program for pregnant and/or
bfing women, and infants and children) increased from 8 % to 36 % in that
five year period.  I think we were sucessful because we had motivated PC's
who honestly believed in bfing and wanted to help others.  The program
stopped being sucessful when the health director decided to hire a health
assistant to work as a PC  and ended the volunteer and contracted PC's, and
ended my contract as coordinator and put the program under a nutritionist.
Remember that the PC's are mothers themselves and need continuing education
and support. Be a friend and not just a supervisor.  The first year we had 15
volunteer PC's. We met once a month for a PC meeting and then had a bfing
mothers group afterward.  The PC's didn't want to cook dinner and have to run
out to a meeting, so I bought pizza or we had a potluck dinner and their
husbands would come eat, and then either take the kids home or retire to a
play room to visit with each other and let the kids play while mom had her
"meeting".  The dads did a great job of supporting each other. The program
provided all supplies and reimbursed each PC for milage, phone and any other
expenses. We also met their personal needs by having toy exchanges, clothing
exchanges etc.  I got donations of gifts from area businesses for their
Mother's Day gifts. They received certificates of appreciation periodically,
and I arranged a thank you letter once from the mayor during World BFing
Week. We took pictures, kept a scrapbook, and they maintained a baby picture
bulletin board at the local health dept.  They made bulletin boards, bfing
games, etc to use during bfing classes at the health dept.  They felt
important, and validated in their abilities. We trained them using the LLLI
model so they received a subscription to New Beginnings, which really made
them feel important to receive what they considered a professional journal.
The WIC program referred mothers to us when they signed up for WIC. Each PC
was assigned referrals based on how many she felt she could handle due to her
family situations--some would take 3-4 referrals and some only 1-2 each
month. They made  phone contact to introduce themselves and the program to
the pregnant woman. They encouraged attendance at classes, mailed brochures
or reprints to them, and provided support, encouragement and friendship as
well as education. When the baby came, the PC often was called from the
delivery room.  Then the moms were invited to attend mothers'group. The PCs
took turns presenting topics at the mothers' group.
Incentives we used were:
Pregnant moms received a special blue folder to keep all their bfing
information in
( cost about 15 cents)
When they attended all 3 bfing classes, they received  Why Should I Nurse My
Baby ? by Pam Wiggins.
At bfing class they received just 1-2 brochures about that class topic ( so
not to overwhelm them) but I used the book to show them what chapters I was
using as a reference and to remind them they would receive the book.
After the birth, they received a totebag with a pair of cloth nursing pads, a
water bottle, a memo pad and pen, and a photo frame magnet. The hospital
provides a manuel breast pump.
Our Health Dept also had a Baby Bucks program which rewards health behaviors,
attendance at appointments and classes etc with play money that they can use
to shop in an inhouse store. We participated in that program also as an
incentive.
We had special events like the County's Biggest Baby Shower, Food Tastings
using foods purchased with WIC vouchers, World BFing Week displays and
celebrations, Family picnics etc.
I think it is more important to make the moms and the PC's feel important
about what they are doing then to spend money on little incentives that are
meaningless tinkets. We got alot of donations from the business community so
the moms saw that the community thought they were doing  something important.
When we had special events,we had special visitors like the mayor, city
council person etc. I also did alot of publicity--tried to do a tv interview
every other month or so.
If you are enthusiastic, it will spread. You and the PCs are he sales reps
for bfing. And  the cheerleaders. It's not just a job, it's an adventure!

Barb Whitehead, BS, IBCLC
Eastern NC