From:
"Linda L. Shaw MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 19:13:41 EDT
I have to defend us pediatricians--Although I've seen plenty of bad advice
come from pediatricians (especially in our local area), I've seen even worse
advice come from some of the FP's.  The FP's and pediatricians who are women
and who have had some experience breastfeeding their own children or who are
men with wives who have breastfed successfully, are often much better with
lactation evaluation and advice.  Often, they are much more willing to refer
to IBCLC's or LLL with questions.

I'm a pediatrician and I do see the mom & baby as a unit/partners in
breastfeeding.  I think what needs to be done is to really push for physician
education in lactation.  I was lucky; we actually had some lactation education
during residency.  However, most of my colleagues weren't that lucky.
Attitudes will start to shift if lactation is taught in FP, pediatric, and
OB/Gyn residency programs and if the AAFP, AAP, and ACOG do a media blitz/mass
educational effort with their members.  The more mothers are taught to
question what sounds like bad advice from doctors and the more they are
willing to help educate physicians, the better things will get.

Linda L. Shaw MD  FAAP
pediatrics, Altoona PA