From:
Sarah Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2012 07:55:18 +0100
On 06/05/2012 21:14, Mary Oconnor wrote:
> A nearby hospital has received a grant to begin a follow up clinic for babies diagnosed with NAS.  Babies discharged from the hospital where I work will be eligible to attend the clinic.  Babies will be followed for three years and there will be a strong emphasis on assessing developmental outcomes as well as growth, weight etc etc.
>
>   It was suggested that in addition, breastfeeding and non breastfeeding in this population could be examined.  In order that the correct information is gathered right from the beginning, does anyone have ideas, besides the developmental and anthropometric measures already planned on being collected, that might be interesting to examine in this particular subpopulation?  They can certainly collect information on which we already know bf has an effect such as infectious diseases, cognitive development, overweight, SIDS - what else?

It would be wonderful for them to actually look at *degrees* of BF/FF,
rather than just having binary categories of 'breastfed' and 'formula
fed', or even 'exclusively breastfed', 'non-exclusively breastfed' and
'formula fed'.  There's currently almost no research that subdivides the
non-EBF group into degrees of formula given, and it would be great to
have something that recognises that there might be a difference between
a one-off exposure to formula, a one-off exposure to something that
isn't formula, regular supplements that make only a small proportion of
a baby's diet, and regular supplementation that accounts for most of a
baby's diet.  Obviously there will be practical limits to how much you
can subdivide, but it would be a really useful thing to look at and to
correlate with outcomes.

Best wishes,

Dr Sarah Vaughan
MBChB MRCGP