From:
Marge Collier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 21:49:40 EST
In reference to a variety of comments about celebs and their choices of
commericals they do etc.
such as Jane Seymour and her Gerber commercial and possibility of Rosie
O'donnell and Nestle.

I do work  in entertainment industry, and I heard that Jane Seymour did the
Gerber ad to put her kids thru college.  (her statement)
These people do this work to earn $, just as others work for hospitals or
companies or themselves to earn money.

This is not an excuse.  However, it should be noted that these people are
regular folks who have a variety of opinions and experiences that we as LCs
may or may not agree with or feel good about--unfortunately they have the
power and opportunity to make their expressions broadcast to the country in a
variety of influential manners.
And their only qualifacation for this is the accident of their appearance and
sometimes acting talent!

Until BF achieves an advocate, who is a vocal celeb in the forefront of the
media--we all be at a disadvantage in combatting these images and messages as
we do not command the interest and money required to redirect the powerful
entertainment and media industries in the US.

It is unfortunate, but it seems that it is a product of not only free speech
but also free enterprise.

Marge Collier, MA, MT (ASCP), IBCLC