From:
Amir family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 20:38:02 +1000
<Our recent study showed that of the moms we saw in hospital, 75%
were still nursing at 3 months while only 50% of those we did not
see (due to not having 7 day coverage) were still nursing at 3
months.  The small sample size of the second group did not allow for
statistical significance, but I think it's significant even if a
statistician doesn't.>
this is great! you should keep collecting data until you have a number that
is statistically significant, and publish, so that others can see your
results.
I'm not trying to be critical of people who are trying to see every
breastfeeding woman, but just to point out that in some cases time might be
better spent in educating all staff to become competent in helping new
mothers and babies / educating medical and nursing students / conducting
research / working toward Baby Friendly / etc
If hospitals can employ enough staff to do all this - great!
Lisa Amir
MBBS, MMed, IBCLC in Melbourne, Australia - where I heard another great
presentation by Tom Hale today.