From:
Susan R Potts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 07:44:24 -0600
To Pat and all,
      I agree SO MUCH on your comments on pain control!  I don't
understand nurses who are stingy with pain meds.  I often tell post op
pts not to wait until the pain is excruciating to take a pain med, it
will be more effective if taken earlier and there is no reason to try to
"tough it out".  For cramping while nursing I often say, "there is good
news and bad news about the cramping.  The bad news is it hurts, the good
news is it means the baby is sucking effectively, it usually is most
severe only the first few days of breastfeeding, it helps your uterus
return to its pre-pregnant size faster, and there are pain meds available
every 2 hours or so."  And I will promptly bring her some ibuprofen.  I
have  seen good results with tylenol 1000 mg 2 hours after the ibuprofen,
then 2 hours later the ibuprofen again.  Tylenol with codeine is on our
standing pp orders, I rarely need to use it, but will if Mom needs it.
       Off to step-aerobics (I'm just a beginner) last week they played
60s Beatle music.
       Susan Potts   Minnesota

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:57:18 -0500 Automatic digest processor