From:
Pearl Shifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 1996 23:03:23 PST
Hi, Lactnetters.
I was listening to NPR (National Public Radio) (United States) in the car
and had a hard time keeping my eyes on the road when I heard the news
item re: the formula companies duking it out because one company had the
NERVE to call itself "modeled after breastmilk". Seems the OTHER biggie
didn't like that, I guess it is admitting that neither one is really
like breastmilk after all! So how can one company use that as an
advertising slogan???
This news item was follwed by a commentary by Dia Michels; she said that the main issue was being overshadowed-perhaps both companies are a tad
nervous because moms are choosing "the real thing" after all; 53% of
American mothers are now choosing to breastfeed. Does anyone know where Dia got this number from? I'd like to have the source to share with the
nutritionist at work who is doing a report for her graduate class...
It was a great feeling, listening to a news report that talked about breastmilk in a very natural way.
Pearl Shifer, IBCLC