From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2014 11:12:45 +0100
Dear all

There was a question on Lactnet recently about
whether human milk was a tissue, a food or a
medicine, and a kind colleague described how the
question was addressed in a recent session at a
HMBNA conference by Kiersten Israel-Ballard and
her two interns.  I was curious so I wrote to
Kiersten asking about it, and she sent back news
of the global implementation framework document
on strengthening human milk banking document she
has been working on, which can be accessed at
<http://www.path.org/publications/detail.php?i=2433>http://www.path.org/publications/detail.php?i=2433.

The PATH Human Milk Banking team is pleased to
present to you our completed ‘Strengthening Human
Milk Banking: A Global Implementation
Framework’.  This Framework outlines the core
requirements and quality principles that should
be universal for all human milk banks. We present
a compilation of key factors and current
practices, based on solid evidence, which
implementers and policymakers can use as a guide
when developing context-specific guidelines for
each facility, region, or country. This toolkit
is not intended to provide specific
recommendations, since universal human milk
banking guidelines are neither feasible nor
appropriate due to diversity of resources, risks,
and cultures. Rather, our goal is that this
Framework serves as a powerful resource,
facilitating communication with the global human
milk banking community, empowering policymakers
with the tools and information they need to
develop and support locally appropriate human
milk banks and ultimately ensuring that
vulnerable infants around the world have access
to this lifesaving intervention.

We anticipate that this document will be the
initial version; we intend for this to become a
living document with periodic updates. Our hope
is that this Framework could be adapted to a
comprehensive online, interactive tool for
increased accessibility – we are currently searching for funds to do this.

In the meantime, we will be disseminating this to
the global community and would request your
assistance in doing so. Target recipients include
Ministries of Health, our global health and
development partners, policymakers, funding
agencies and technical nutrition and newborn care
colleagues. Importantly, we ask that you please
share this with your communities as well – feel
free to make the document or link available for any relevant stakeholders.

Our vision is that this Framework helps to raise
awareness around the critical role that human
milk banks play in saving newborn lives. This is
an important milestone in PATH’s comprehensive
approach to strengthening human milk banking
technologies, policies and implementation with
the hope that one day all infants who need safe
donor human milk have access to it.

The question is covered from about page 21
onwards.  Kiersten is eager for the document to
be shared widely, and also says she welcomes
feedback ready for the revisions they're planning
so this is our chance to provide input people!

Pamela Morrison IBCLC
Rustington, England

---