From:
Christine Pillado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 23:18:57 EST
In a message dated 2/1/2004 6:09:22 PM Mountain Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
I saw a 12 day old baby today who apparently has never latched.  LC at
the hospital told the mom he was tongue sucking and curling his tongue back.
He started receiving bottles in the hospital.  Mom has persisted in pumping
and
has a fairly good supply for him now but is worried if pumping will suffice
as he gets older.
Sara,
I have found that finger feeding is faster and easier for parents than cup
feeding.  Use a 5 French feeding tube, drop one end into the EBM and lay the
other along the index finger (should be taped further back on the finger but
doesn't have to be if mom is aware she has to HOLD the tube in place so baby
doesn't gag on it) as the baby sucks on the finger.  Mom can stimulate the suck
reflex, baby gets EBM AND has skin-to-skin in the mouth.  Some suggest using a
finger that is closest in size to mom's nipple when the nipples are large.
Also, start and end each feeding at the breast.  Lots of skin to skin time;
sleep with baby skin to skin, bathe with baby etc.
I read somewhere that you should expect it will take as much time to get baby
BACK to breast as the baby has been away from the breast.  I think this is a
good rule of thumb so mom has some time frame in mind and doesn't think it
will go on forever.  Even if it takes longer it will be so much better by then
that moms are encouraged to go on.

Best of luck!

Christie Pillado
El Paso, TX