From:
Suzanne Bowes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 07:53:04 -0800
I did quite an extensive search on this subject and
couldn't find much of anything.   There is one quasi
study done in Jamaica that pretty much says it doesn't
make a difference.  Then, another one (can't remember
the publication) that says it does.   It is very
frustrating esp. when you have a little one in the
NICU that needs MOM (we do have donor milk) and cannot
supply her milk until she tests negative.  But, one
can test positive for up to a month depending on usage
and when last used.  I called around to other
hospitals and most of them didn't withhold MOM if that
was the only drug present in mom's system.  I'm not
sure the rational makes sense to me.  There are far
more dangerous legal drugs abused in pregnancy
(alcohol, tobacco) that don't restrict access to MOM.
Suzanne Bowes RN, IBCLC