Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 22:05:57 -0600
Sheesh.  The marvels of marketing!!

I would refer the MD to a formula can label, as I have done for an
up-coming presentation to nurse practitioners.  Here are the contents of
a can of widely-used formula:

Reduced minerals whey, nonfat milk, palm olein oil, lactose, soy oil,
coconut oil, high oleic sunflower oil, AND LESS THAN 1%:

vitamin A palmitate, vitaminD3, vitamin E acetate, vitamin K1, thiamin
hydrochloride, vitamin B6 hydrochloride, vitamin B12, niacinamide, folic
acid, calcium pantothenate, biotin, sodium ascorbate, inositol, calcium
chloride, calcium phosphate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese
sulfate, cupric sulfate, sodium chloride, sodium citrate,  potassium
citrate, potassium hydroxide, sodium selenite, taurine, nucleotides
(adenosine 5-monophosphate, cytidine 5-monophosphate, disodium guanosine
5-monophosphate, disodium uridine 5-monophosphate)

And "Lipil" adds:

  *mortierella alpina oil, and
**crypthecodinium cohnii oil

*A source of arachidonic acid (ARA)
**A source of docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).

Then you can show them a "partial" listing of what is in breastmilk
(since we have no idea what else is in there that we don't yet know
about!) and point out that there is no mortierella alpina oil, or
crypthecodinium cohnii oil in breastmilk.

DHA and ARA are two fatty acids that are known to be important for
optimal maturation of the central nervous system, and ARE present in
breastmilk, but so are hundreds of other substances that are NOT present
in formula.

Kathy Leeper, MD, IBCLC