From:
Sara Bernard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 13:30:06 +0100
I think I should explain myself better. I understand that the original
thread was about parents who chose not to immunise their children because
they breastfeed.
I wanted to add another thread which is the mothers I sometimes meet who
choose not to immunise their children because they either believe that there
the immunisations are "faulty" or can do more harm than good (sometimes
there is also a religious element involved). Some of these parents also
choose NOT to breastfeed.
This is the bit that mystifies me: they do one thing that they believe is
good (i.e. the not immunising) and then they don't breastfeed which IS GOOD?
Ok, this sounds very black and white, but I know two families who do not
immunise because of the 'risk' from the vaccines themselves. They are
loving, dedicated parents who want to do the best for their kids, but only
fed their babies for a matter of weeks. I have tried to explain to them the
benfits of the vaccines and how awful the disease are they protect against,
but for some reason they believe the vaccines themselves carry more risk.
I'm going OT now.

Back on topic: last night I gave the start of another bf course. I made it
quite clear that bf does not prevent a child from contracting the diseases
that we immunise against, but that there is evidence that shows that bf
children do respond better to the vaccinations.

This is also my last post on the subject!

Sara Bernard
The Netherlands