From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2017 21:00:27 +0000
I want to comment on Alfalfa (Medicago sativa) in pregnancy and sources in general...

When it comes to looking for good information on botanicals (herbs and foods), you want to seek out the botanical experts. There are a lot of websites and resources written by people who are NOT botanical experts, and are not in a good position to interpret the available information. Thus, I trust people like Aviva Romm and Sheila Humphrey... I use the Botanical Safety Handbook and other sources written by botanical experts.

The Handbook rates alfalfa as Class 1- herbs which can be safely consumed when used appropriately. If there were pregnancy concerns, it would be given a class 2 rating.  Alfalfa has been used in pregnancy by many women and has been considered safe other than the Lupus history contraindication. It is an option that I discuss with pregnant mothers at times. Motherlove Herbal makes More Milk Two, a product for pregnant mothers who are trying to keep their production up;  MM2 contains alfalfa.  I feel very comfortable recommending MM2 given that it is specifically marketed for the pregnant mother.

In regards to your delayed lac 2 mother, you might consider getting prolactin tested to confirm that it is not an issue. We assume these things but with such a history, why not rule low prolactin out?  (email me for graphs with expected values). If it is high enough, then Ann's ideas on blocked prolactin receptors necessitate the question of asking, what else can be going on that might cause this?

I like goat's rue for later pregnancy, and also malunggay (Moringa), which seems to stimulate prolactin.

A little prenatal expression may stimulate the breast in general and perhaps excite prolactin receptor function a little earlier...

~Lisa Marasco