From:
Daniel Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 08:08:19 -0500
Hi All,
  As a 4-H member in my childhood, the 4th H stands for Health. I am
astounded that this judge acted this way and in such a public forum. I
personally feel that this is the judge's personal problem and should not
be seen as a general opinion of 4-H itself.
  On the 'too old' or 'getting old' reason to wean, I've heard that one
before, I had a mom who had nursed 4 children all past a year and she
was told her mastitis was caused by 'her breasts wearing out from use!'
I just wish that HCPs who are not knowledgeable about breastfeeding
would learn to say, 'I don't know why this is happening perhaps you
could check with a pediatrician, LC or LLL and see if they might have a
cause.' Rather than recommending weaning and giving such excuses. But I
guess that would be a perfect world and we don't live in one.

Leslie Ward
Vine Grove, KY
"I don't do great things, I do small things with great love." Mother
Theresa