From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 22:31:09 EDT
Melisa wrote:
"Here in lies the problem, CPS has about the same policing powers as the IRS  and the ATF in the US."

Several years ago the baby of a mother I knew quite well died in her sleep. This mother was poor and she and her dh (who is of an ethnic minority in this community) had been co-sleeping with the baby. I was in the hospital w/ her right after she came in by ambulance. She was devastated beyond words. She left the hospital several hours later w/o her older 2 children. They were taken into custody b/c it was assumed that co-sleeping was the cause of the death (roll-over, of course) and that the parents were therefore negligient. These children were 2 and 4 years old. Child Protective Services refused to place them with family members. This family had no prior  history with DCF. The other children were returned the day of their sister's funeral. Many of us involved with this family made phone calls on their behalf. We were told by one DCF worker that co-sleeping is, in and of itself, considered a risk factor for abuse.
    Two years ago I testified in a court case in which an 8 month-old nursing baby was taken from her mother in an ex parte hearing based solely upon accusations made by the father. It took 2 weeks to get a hearing and get the baby back. I sat through the whole hearing--there was absolutely no evidence of anything the father claimed.  The mother's case was aided by her pediatrician who stated that bf offers no benefit past 6 mos and that there was no reason for this mother to expect to continue bf'ing. Fortunately, the judge didn't see it that way, esp after I easily refuted every ridiculous thing the doctor said.
    The point is that in the US, state child protection agencies wield a lot of power in a way which assumes detached parenting is both normal and preferred.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA