From:
Margery Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 08:58:04 -0500
As I was watching the "Mad About You" episode I was
happy to see the amount of correct information that
was portrayed, and I couldn't help but think of all the
years of work by those who keep up the "media
watch." It's no accident that scriptwriters got it (mostly)
correct.

For those who didn't see the show, it portrayed a new
mom bf. Her mother (Carol Burnett) starts the scene
by waking up the new parents to tell them its time to
feed the baby -- making a point to say that they should
aim to feed the baby every 2 3/4 hours and not to wait
until the baby is crying. (This information was played
off the new mom saying she had planned to feed the
baby every 4 hours -- so it was scripted to present
correct information.) It was also interesting that the MIL
hovered over the new mom reminding her "not just the
nipple -- the whole areola."

I didn't see the mention by Michael Fox pointed out in a
Leno used the new AAP guidelines in his monologue,
making a point about six months of exclusive bf. The
punch line was a gentle one having to do with the
septuplet's mom saying "Oh, sure, easy for you to
say".

Those of you who have labored in the vineyard can be
proud of yesterday's "harvest." Thanks for all your hard
work.

Margery Wilson, IBCLC