From:
Anne Eglash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 07:07:03 -0600
>Does anyone know the effect of maternal use of ginseng on a breastfeeding baby?
>Thanks.

I have to say that I have been wondering the same thing lately...I have a
patient who learned that ginseng helps with menopausal symptoms, so she got
some high quality wisc. stuff, and her hot flashes went away. But she is
told in her literature about ginseng that if postmenopausal bleeding
occurs, to stop it. Therefore, I wonder if ginseng increases estrogen
levels, and if it does, that would mean alot in terms of increased risks of
breast and endometrial cancer risks, and perhaps could lower breastmilk
supply in a nursing woman. I don't know if this is true at all, anyone else
have any info?-Anne Eglash MD