From:
Susan Smylie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 1996 12:22:12 -0400
I am probably coming in late on this one, but wanted to add my thougths to
what anyone else has said.  I recently gave birth--my milk came in on the 3rd
day, but it was not until 24 hours later that my baby started having regular
stools or wet diapers.  I was a little freaked by this, as I had thought the
wet/poopy stuff would start right away, but it did not.  I was very close to
calling an LC when the flood began (now we have about 15 wet diapers a day).
 This is my second child, but I was not as aware of this with my first,
because I did not know as much and was not looking as hard, so I don't know
what his pattern was.

In any event, if supplementation was started on the 4th day, it may have just
been a case of interference--her milk may not have come in yet, but would
have and everything would have been fine.  At this point, it is hard to say
for sure, I would just keep working on keeping the baby at the breast and see
if her MS increases.

Oh, and regarding home visits--one of my co-leaders was in a similar
situation shortly after her fourth child was born--there was simply no way
she could go to the Moms house, so she invited the Mom to her house.  I don't
know if you are comfortable with this, but if you really feel like you need
face to face contact with her, that may be the best solution.  After all, if
she is making weekly trips to the ped, she could certainly make a trip to see
you.

Good luck!  Susan