From:
Tanja Knutson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 20:24:04 +0800
I so loved reading Kathleen Bruce's post regarding the composition of Lactnet subscribers - it was amazing to see how many countries are represented. I quickly scrolled down to Singapore, and there I was - one of the"2"!  How cool! Kathleen's words about how we all, lurkers included, are valued here on Lactnet, gave me the courage to actually post for the first time.

I haven't formally introduced myself....I am a LLLL, freelance writer and avid dragon-boater.  I have been living in Singapore for the past five years, with my husband, Cameron, and two children: Kieran Olaf and Ellianna - ages 5 and 2. I am originally from near Montreal, Canada, so I do miss the four seasons, and maple syrup! Come to think of it - bagels, smoked meat and poutine too!  Lactnet has been a tremendous learning tool for me - a lifeline when I feel overwhelmed with the bf inroads still to be carved here, an inspiration that it can actually be done.

The motivation behind my post today was sparked by the bold and blatant formula ads that are everywhere here: in mags, newspapers and even on TV!  The most recent blood-boiler was in the paper, a quarter page ad with the top line reading:
 "Smart mothers give the best they can to their children
S-----Advance Follow-On"
There are precious few mothers here who bf beyond 6 months, and for those that do, I fear these kinds of ads will make them feel that *they* are not smart, nor are they giving the *best* by bf! Many mothers who hang in until 6 months are informed enough to overlook such blatant misinformation, but there are too many more who would begin to self-doubt and lose confidence in their decision.

I truly can no longer just turn the page or switch the channel. I have to do something more. I have begun taking small steps towards bf advocacy of late - but it is very new to me. Mother-to-mother support is my forte - so I feel somewhat out of my league in venturing into this unknown.  I would like to write to the companies involved. At first, I thought the efforts would be futile. But I was buoyed by the recent positive responses of the women who wrote to Reader's Digest, and the baby monitor company.  As a result of you sharing your stories on Lactnet, I am sure that you have given others cause to believe that they also have the power to influence.

I have spent a lot of time getting ideas and perspectives from the archives on this subject.   But I'm sure I remember reading that someone on this list collects violations of the WHO code.  Can anyone refresh my memory - and let me know about how to proceed with a letter-writing campaign against such violations in a non-signatory country?  Mothers here in Singapore are well-educated and increasingly searching for ways to mother in ways that concur with their instincts - not necessarily with what their MIL or confinement nanny tell them. They are realizing that the traditional bf information is oftentimes outdated. This further convinces me that their hearts and minds are ready for a more factual presentation of what is *smart* and what is *best* when it comes to bf.  But where to start?

I know many of you have been down this road before and I would appreciate you sharing your experience and tactics.  If this has been discussed at length before, kindly direct me to dates or subjects in the archives where I can gain further info on my own.  I know that those of us here in Singapore who work with bf moms have a long way to go, so rest assured I will be back again for your support and encouragement - and hopefully a good story of my own to share.

Cheers,
Tanja Knutson