Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 08:42:33 -0400
The short answer, is yes, virginia, there are certainly pollutants in
breastmilk.  The pollutants are there because of years of exposure of the
mom to trace amounts (and sometimes more) of lipid soluble chemicals that
are stored in body fats.  These fats are mobilized when fats are needed for
lactation.  Human milk contains more chemicals than formula and cow's milk
because of the diversity of our diets and lifestyles compared to cows.
However, if you compare the risks associated with chemicals to human milk
to the risks associated with formula-feeding (increased rates of infant
morbidity and mortality), breastmilk comes out clearly the better choice.
That is what we should be emphasizing to medical professionals and nursing
moms.  If you are interested in seeing 'the numbers' upon which this
assessment is based, please contact me by email ([log in to unmask])
for a book chapter I authored on this topic.

Judy Schreiber, Ph.D., New York State Dept of Health.  New address/phone:
Flanigan Square, Room 330, 547 River St., Troy, NY 12180; phone
518-402-7800.