From:
Rietveld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 11:38:40 +0200
Hi Rachel,

Thanks for posting, that was what I was looking for !

Renate Rietveld, IBCLC
Rijswijk, The Netherlands

At 21:58 31-3-00 +0200, you wrote:
>In MIDIRS Midwifery Digest vol 7 no 3, the following article is discussed.
>Hansen KN, Ebbesen F.  Neonatal vitamin K prophylaxis in Denmark: 3 years'
experience with oral administration during the first three months of life
compared with one oral administration at birth.  Acta Paediatrica, vol 85,
no 10, Oct 1996, pp 1137-1139.
>MIDIRS had constructed a graph showing the incidence of late vitamin K
deficiency bleeding in communities where babies are offered no vitamin K at
birth, and in communities with a range of different prophylactic policies.
This graph shows two regimens which virtually eliminate the problem: 1 mg
IM at birth, and 1 mg by mouth weekly for three months.  The table also
shows that with the German regimen of 1 mg my mouth at 1,2 and 3-6 weeks,
there is an incidence of 32/1,200,000, significantly reduced from no
prophylaxis, but still occurring.