Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 16:22:15 -0400
Looks like I made an error. Got my urls mixed up. The comment I read
written by Dr. Bill Sears re: dental caries and night nursing is at:

http://iparenting.com/sears/answers/nightwean.htm

it is at iparenting, not ivillage.

My apologies ...

Dr. Sears responds there to a question about an older toddler breastfeeding
and developing dental caries.

His response begins... "Yes, night nursing can cause tooth decay. For
years, pediatricians and pediatric dentists have noticed a condition called
nursing bottle carries, meaning tooth decay caused by nighttime bottles of
juice or formula. The reason for this is when an infant falls asleep the
natural rinsing action of the saliva lessens, which allows the sugary
formula and juice to settle on the teeth, thus causing decay. The incidence
of nursing carries is certainly much less in breastfed infants, but it does
happen. After all, breastmilk is a very sweet and naturally sugary
substance. ...." and continues on.

I thought it was informative and was not what I thought to be the case. I
have some questions.

Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet
Independent Consultant
http://homepages.together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html
LACTNET Archives http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html