From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 08:49:58 -0500
I just got my new issue of our state perinatal organization's quarterly
newsletter and was dismayed to read an article heralding the "dangers of
co-sleeping".  The article says among other things: 1) Unsafe sleeping
conditions contributed to the deaths of 57 M*** County infants from 1996
through 1999, according to a report from the M*** County Fatality Review
Team; 2) In 1998, more infants died in M*** County from bed sharing than
from not being protected in a child safety seat;  3) Since 1995, suffocation
has been the leading cause of injury death for infants younger than age one
nationwide; 4) SIDS deaths correlate highly with the use of duvets and
sleeping on couches with parents.  It further states, "Contrary to some
beliefs, bed sharing does not help prevent SIDS (italics theirs).  In fact,
several studies show it increases the risk of sudden death, especially if
the parent smokes or if someone other than the parent shares the bed.
Although SIDS is sometimes called "crib death", the baby's crib does not
cause the death."

Now, get this:  "Bed sharing can result in several night-time problems,
including; -Shared sleep confuses a baby's sleep routine.  Other bed
movements can cause them to become restless and awaken more easily; -Parents
can experience anxiety from the fear of rolling on top of the baby.  For
nursing mothers, this anxiety can affect milk production; -Use a baby
monitor to hear the baby; and - Let the baby sleep with you-as long as you
do not fall asleep (emphasis theirs).  Whew my head is reeling from the
strength of the warning!

There is good info in this article such as the note that babies of women who
smoke are at greater risk from co-sleeping, but they are few.  I quoted you
most of the article.  Now I thought SIDS meant we don't know what caused the
baby to die.  If we know the baby suffocated, then it's not SIDS, right?!
The note about bed-sharing not protecting from SIDS seems to tie SIDS in
with the suffocation issue from unsafe bedding that the article refers to as
"deadly", making them the same entity when they are not, as I understand it.
I have copies of many articles by James McKenna and have heard him speak, so
I have some understanding of the issue of SIDS and co-sleeping and risk
factors.  I am just amazed that a state health organization does not know
the difference between SIDS and suffocation/unsafe sleeping conditions.
Once again, throwing the baby out with the bath water.  To read this article
makes me wonder how mankind has survived for all these centuries
co-sleeping.

There is one more thing, this article references a couple of articles in
Pediatrics and The Lancet and also...are you ready for this?!...Babywise!!!
'Nough said.  Oh, and if you've read my post in the last few days about the
nurse practitioner and her power-wielding neonatologist husband, he's on the
board of this organization!  I intend to follow up on this article.  It
doesn't say who wrote it, but I intend to find out and write a little note
myself!

Marsha Glass, RN BSN IBCLC,  still shaking my head in Indiana where more
snow is on the way....