From:
Mary Renard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 09:50:47 -0400
Charlotte, you expressed the hope that Susan Molinari was breastfeeding her
baby.  I've read everything printed around here about her - and that's a
*lot* - hoping to find some reference, but haven't.  However, I attended a
hearing of the House of Representatives Special Committee on Hunger a few
years ago and heard Susan Molinari give an *impassioned* speech in favor of
the US government's work to promote breastfeeding.  Having heard her speak
then, I have hoped and hoped that she has, of COURSE, been nursing her own
baby....  I saw one video clip of her giving her baby a bottle with a white,
not clear, substance in it....  and baby taking it readily from mama.  Maybe
it was EBM?  I can hope!

On the other hand, if *I* were a member of Congress I am not sure I would
want to breastfeed in public EVER.  It is one thing to nurse your baby
anonymously in the middle of the mall.  It's another thing to be on the
equivalent of "center stage" every single minute of the day.....  and she's
not the only family member with a high profile;  her husband (Bill Paxon) is
a Congressman and chair of the Republican Congressional Campaign Committee.
And it would be pretty tough, I expect, for even the most dedicated
breastfeeding advocate to exclusively nurse her baby on a politician's
schedule - at least in the US where she'd be followed around and
photographed constantly for being so weird.

Mary Renard
Vienna, VA, USA
political junkie