From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 19:43:51 -0400
> I don't think it's indicative of formula supplementation, but it would
> clearly signal to me the need for a good look at what's going on.  This is
> not a normal weight gain for a newborn.  And 4 oz./week from where?  Birth
> weight or lowest weight after birth?  The second scenario would be
> frightening to me.  What is the birth weight and current weight that
> you're talking about on this baby?
>
> Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC
> Appleton, Wisconsin

Well, to repeat an often-repeated example, my daughter Lisa weighed 8 pounds
at birth. At one week (the first time we weighed her again), she weighed 8
pounds 4 ounces. At two weeks, 8 pounds 8 ounces. And she continued to gain
about 4 ounces a week for the next three months or so (we didn't have her
weighed every week of course but that's what it averaged out to). She
weighed 17 pounds at a year.

She was active, very healthy, and developing normally - she walked at 9
months and saying quite a few words by 12 months. Today she is still petite
(wears size 0 clothing) and is completing her Master's degree.

I think it is worth checking out a baby that is gaining at this rate, in
case there is a problem. I'm sure it is not an average weight gain, but I am
equally convinced that it can be normal.

Teresa Pitman