From:
Anne Merewood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 1998 22:09:27 -0500
"I wonder if she is allergic to her child's shampoo??"
This reminds me of a case last summer. Mom actually weaned her 2 yr. old
because she got inexplicabe, terribly painful red hives on the
nipple/breast when he nursed. 2 weeks after weaning he got sick so she
began nursing again. A few days later the hives returned - but this time on
her upper chest (where the child's hands/clothing constantly rubbed) Any
guesses?
Answer: Mom discovered a patch of poison ivy in the wooded yard to which
the toddler was not reacting, but she was! She eliminated the ivy; no more
hives, and they breastfed for another 6 months!
Anne Merewood