From:
Mary-Anne Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 1996 07:22:36 -0800
I have been catching up on a month of digests and have been very
interested in the bylaws discussion, interested enough to pull out the
bylaws and read through them, referring back to previous posts from
Linda, and Kathleen and others.
I must say that on the surface,  I don't have a problem with most of the
changes, but I can certainly understand the concern around the parts of
the 1994 bylaws that are being deleted. I also do not understand why
and International Organization, has two delegates from the US, but
other areas are only allowed one.

What I can't help feeling is that those of us who are not 'in the know',
who have not been around since the beginning are perhaps not getting the
full story.  What I do hear from both sides as I read between the lines
seems to be an issue of trust, or lack of trust.
It is true, no matter what organization you are involved with 'Politics'
seems to rear its head, and members feel compelled to take sides.
We need open, trusting dialog with the membership, previous board and the
existing board members.  I feel especially that members should get to
vote on all aspects of the changes, especially the parts that are being
deleted, or moved to the policy/procedures manual.  I suggest that all of
you that feel the same,or different,  please email Ilca and let your
views be known.  Too often membership votes are poorly responded too, so
again, a vocal few are making decisions that we all will live with.

Being a lactation consultant is the most powerful and hopeful work I have
ever done.  Please, let us work together through our differences and not
feel forced to choose sides.

Sincerely to all,

Mary-Anne Taylor, B.Ed.,IBCLC
North Vancouver, B. C.